Saturday 17 January 2015

Kids Toy



Last winter I bought a penny whistle to help overcome the onset of Cabin Fever. I wanted to learn a traditional Irish penny whistle song and thought of the Irish Washerwoman. I've been 'practicing' on and off for the last year and I think I've got it up to speed!

When I bought the penny whistle, I went into it with low expectations on the capabilities of a 'kids toy'. I mostly bought it to play little kids melodies for my daughter. After sitting down and playing with it you find its a pretty versatile little pocket instrument. With my jazz background in trumpet I started to discover that you could play and improvise on some standards.

After a little research I found the video below with Les Lieber playing a jazz version of 'It Had To Be You'. Seeing this video again is enough to keep the whistle laying around for another year.



No comments:

Post a Comment