Monday 12 January 2015

Journeyman Timed Test


The Day after the competition in Kentucky, I took the timed portion of my Journeyman Certification through the Dry Stone Conservancy. The timed test for this level of certification is to take down and rebuild 10' x 4' of free standing dry stone wall in a day. There was a section of wall that wasn't used for the competition that was put my way for the timed test. This old section was pushed over by the tree that you can see behind. Because of the tree, I had to curve my wall out from the original wall line which extended my test wall to 13' long. Along with the curve I added a few lintels over the roots that were growing underneath, to allow for my wall to go over top but give the tree some space to grow. 


With the added changes to my test section and the extensive excavation around the roots, I was allowed a few hours the next day to finish by the examiners. I still was able to complete my wall section within 8 hours of actual construction. Again, like the competition, I had to match the existing local style and build to the highest standard of construction I could in the allotted time. All this while being watched and marked by 2 examiners. 


 Above is my wall at half way, which coincides with 'through height', which is when you place your 'through-stones' on the wall. The 'throughs or Tie stones' are an essential part of the structure of a dry stone wall.  Long stones are placed with maximum contact on both sides of the wall securing the structure. 


Above is my completed curved section of wall that I finished up early the next day. One of the new skills I acquired while in Kentucky was in laying the coping stones in the traditional style for the area. When I usually build vertical coping, I'm used to using single stones laid vertical with a clear, level horizontal line across the top. The local style has the stones leaning in one direction, the tops can be a little up and down, and you use 2 stones side by side like a 'double cope', crossing your joints, with a single 'through cope' every 2 feet. I'm happy to say I passed! I still have to finish one of my required untimed features, a blueprint reading section, and a job estimation quiz to finish my cert, but I'm happy to have the hard part out of the way.

My examiners standing with my test section. DSWAGB Master Craftsman Nick Aitken (on left) and DSWAGB/ DSC Master Craftsman Neil Rippingdale (on right)

No comments:

Post a Comment